User Feedback & Testing of White Board

As in my previous posts, I’ve described about all screens of my app White Board. You can check here —
This one is for user feedback about my app and testing of the app for any bug. When I completed my app with required functionality as I described in MVP in my first blog post at the beginning of my journey.
Testing and fixing bugs is one of the important part in order to build a successful application. Anyhow a person can’t do this all alone, so it is a better way to get feedback from others as well as testing by yourself also.
My app is still in beta phase because I am not so confident to put in in production for now. If you want to try my app, please visit here.

Feedback

I posted my app’s link in the Hasura Internship Slack Channel and asked the fellow members to check my app. Some of them who tried the app, gave very nice and positive feedback. Some of those said it’s an awesome idea and app, some said it seems you wrote lot of code, which made my day a lot. It feels very good to get praised after doing lot of hard work and that I got what I deserved.

What about Bugs?

It is not easy to make an app with a team of one or two, without having any bugs in it. And if somehow you feel that there won’t be any in your code, then you are absolutely not perfect programmer, because it doesn’t matters how much you work and test it by yourself, you can’t be sure until others say so, and believe me when other the the developer tests the app, there comes new bugs from somewhat like cave or something, because the are unaware of the code, they think that it should work like a magic.
So in the phase of testing, I got some messages too claiming for bugs as I expected at the time. Some of those are listed below —
  1. On sending a message in a group, others couldn’t get that instantly, need to refresh the page to get the message. Well it was a bug in the code written for new message using websockets, and it’s fixed now.
  2. White Board (sketch window) was public for all user, so if anyone draw something to their own, it was visible to everyone. It’s also fixed and now broadcast is limited for current group members only.
  3. One more is in the white board that it doesn’t save the current status, so if a user refresh the page or resizes, it all lost for that user. This bug is not fixed yet, because I am unable to find any significant way to store that sketch data in database. Doing research on that, if I find any way, I’ll update soon.
  4. Someone reported that when he refresh the page, none of the group is selected so the chat window becomes empty. It was due to not saving the current selected group at user end, so now when we open the app for the first time, by default first group in the user’s group list is selected and messages for that are shown in chat window, and if user refresh the page, previously selected group’s information is re-stored.

What to be updated?

Although my internship is completed now and I got the certificate, but there are tons of feature that I want to add in the app. Some of those are —
  • One thing is for whiteboard, that it should be restricted for group leaders, only they can draw and others can watch.
  • Time for a message can be included in the chat window.
  • No of members online in a group.
  • If a new user joins or leaves a group, it should be shown in the chat window.
  • Currently anyone can add a user in the group as a member, so I want to provide a feature to modify the access label of a user, which can be done by group owner or leader.
  • If a user want to leave a group or if leader of a group want to remove a user, this option can also be added.
  • Option to modify a group’s info such as name and limit no. of users that can be added.
  • Option for group icon and a little about.
  • On the user profile page, option to update profile picture and other information. And to deactivate/delete the account.
  • A notification bar for some notification.
Currently I am using the APIs provided by Hasura platform, but in further I want to write some custom APIs. Adding all those features mentioned above requires lot of knowledge and experience which I don’t have currently. But I’ll try to do that as soon as possible.

What’s Next?

Next post is about final submission of my app after fixing significant bugs, I also made an intro video for my app, which will be included in the next post.
Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Idea for an app | First step to internship

Playing with the Octo-Cat